Top Reasons to Deliver with Meals on Wheels Central Texas
March 22, 2019
Did you know that 90% of the meals delivered through Meals on Wheels Central Texas are delivered by volunteer drivers? Each weekday, MOWCTX cooks up 3,000 meals for the seniors we're honored to serve. We simply couldn't do what we do without our dedicated volunteers who deliver, in addition to the hot meals, safety checks and friendship to our senior neighbors.
We asked our volunteers why they believe delivering meals to homebound older neighbors is the best volunteer opportunity around. Here are some of the wonderful answers our Volunteer Services team received:
- “The stories [the clients] share with me remind me of the conversations I had with my grandparents.”
- “I get to create special bonds with the sweet folks on my route.”
- ”[Delivering meals] allows me to venture out into other areas of our growing Austin!”
- “I love that I can bring my kiddos along with me on my route when they are on school break.”
- “The best part of volunteering for Meals on Wheels is its flexibility; they are able to work with my weekly changing schedule.”
- “Since my company allows us paid volunteer time, I picked Meals on Wheels, my route takes an hour or sometimes less.”
- “I honestly feel delivering meals lets me see the direct impact I have in our community when I see the smile on their face as I am passing them a warm meal.”
- “As the volunteer meal manager who greets and passes the meal to the volunteer drivers, I have made many new friends that I look forward to seeing each week.”
What are your favorite things about volunteering with Meals on Wheels Central Texas? We'd love to hear them!