Are you handy with a drill and willing to help with installation of bathroom safety bars… or perhaps change a light bulb, or an air filter? We need volunteers to help us keep clients safe in their homes through our Handy Wheels program.
Handy Wheels provides minor, safety-related home repairs and improvements to seniors and adults with disabilites.
Volunteers must be able to:
- Provide their own tools and have a basic knowledge of home installations (such as wireless doorbells, hand held shower extensions, and bathroom safety rails);
- Come to Meals on Wheels Central Texas on the second Saturday of the month to select job sheets;
- Call clients to schedule appointments in order to let them know the date and time that you will be at their home;
- Complete all selected jobs in the time allotted (usually two to three weeks);
- Keep in contact with the Handy Wheels Coordinator to inform her or him of the status of your jobs;
- Return your job sheets to the Meals On Wheels Central Texas office as soon as the jobs are completed.
Volunteers can come in Monday thru Friday between 8 - 4 p.m. to pick up job sheets.
If you are interested in volunteering for this program please contact the program coordinator email@example.com
*NOTE: Before becoming a volunteer, we ask that you speak with a volunteer coordinator, fill out an application, provide copies of both your driver’s license and car insurance, and allow us to run a criminal background check. You must also attend a short orientation session.