Mike’s Place is a respite program for people with early to mid-stage Alzheimer’s Disease, other types of memory loss and dementia, and serves as a source of support and rest for caregivers.
WHEN: Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: Meals on Wheels Central Texas, 3227 E. 5th Street, Austin
Volunteers Needed! Opportunities Include:
- Activity Leaders: facilitate exercise, games, brain-stimulating activities
- Specialists: pianists or guitar players to lead Tuesdays’ sing-alongs; artists to facilitate
- Servers: help set up and clean up, greet participants, assist caregivers with getting participants settled
- Buddies: assigned to assist each participant
- Performers: occasional sharing of your special talents as an individual and/or as a group
If you are interested in volunteering for this program please contact us here.
*Before becoming a volunteer, we ask that you speak with a volunteer coordinator, fill out an application, provide copies of both your driver’s license and car insurance, and allow us to run a criminal and sex offender background check. You must also attend a short orientation session.