MOWCTX Renovates Home for 111-Year-Old WWII Veteran
Mr. Overton, who is 111years old, prides himself on his ability to live independently. He’s owned his home in East Austin since 1948 – a few years after he returned from his service in World War II. The recent renovations to the house allow him to maintain his independence safely and with dignity.
- replacing the original wiring which was installed in 1948
- installing a central air and heating system
- making his bathroom safer by removing old bathtub, toilet, and sink and replacing them with a roll-in shower, accessible toilet and lavatory
- removing carpet and installing laminated floors to reduce trip hazards and allergens
- widening doors to allow accessibility
- replacing kitchen cabinets, countertops and sink/faucet
- Texas Gas Service replacing water heater, stove and vent hood
Mr. Overton lived offsite during the three weeks it took to complete the project. He arrived home to a transformed house – one that is easier and safer for him to navigate. “I like everything. I like it all, the new floors, kitchen, bathrooms, new AC,” Mr. Overton says. “They did such a wonderful job.”
Thank you to our wonderful partners at The Home Depot Foundation and Team Depot, The Home Depot’s employee volunteer force, for their invaluable assistance in helping this American hero maintain his independence.